Chairman, CEO, and Owner
A longtime California resident, Jason Hughes secured his Bachelor of Science in business administration from Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. He embarked on his business career with the firm of Cushman & Wakefield in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Century City. He subsequently settled in the greater San Diego area, where he earned his Master of Business Administration from the University of San Diego. From 1995 to 2011, he served as president of the San Diego firm Irving Hughes.
In 2011, he established the tenant and buyer representation firm Hughes Marino with his wife and business partner, Shay. While co-owning and operating this large, exclusive firm, he returned multiple times to the academic setting, completing executive training programs at the University of California, San Diego, the University of California, Los Angeles, and Harvard University.
In addition to co-owning the firm alongside Shay, Jason Hughes serves dual senior administrative roles as its chairman and chief executive officer. Under his leadership, the firm quickly became the biggest of its kind in San Diego.
Expanding beyond San Diego, he’s grown Hughes Marino into one of the leading tenant representation organizations in the United States. It currently supports a network of regional offices along the West Coast. In 2018, Fortune magazine ranked the company at the top of its list of the best workplaces in America. With its concerted focus on transparency and personalization, Hughes Marino has an outstanding reputation among clients and business partners.
Throughout his career, Jason Hughes has personally spearheaded several of California’s most significant tenant lease transactions, including contractual agreements for tens of millions of square feet. He’s particularly adept at negotiating complex leases of extraordinarily high value. His other areas of expertise include sale-leaseback transactions, expansion/contraction projects, participating loan structuring, lease/loan workouts, lease accounting, lease auditing, lease restructuring, early renegotiations, build-to-suit developments, construction management, culture consulting, and general project finance negotiations.
With experience that spans a broad spectrum of market sectors, Jason Hughes has spearheaded the purchase and lease negotiation of office, hotel, condominium, and high-rise buildings. He has a long history of working with government clients and leaders in the private business world.
Widely regarded as a thought leader in the field of tenant representation, Jason Hughes generously shares his expertise with colleagues and the general public alike. He has appeared on a number of television programs, and media giants such as The Wall Street Journal and the Huffington Post have used him as a valuable resource.
The California Real Estate Journal published a profile on Jason Hughes. As a writer, he’s contributed articles to the San Diego Business Journal, C-Suite Quarterly, and Hughes Marino’s official blog, HATCH. He appeared on the cover of San Diego Metro four times.
In recognition of Jason Hughes’ outstanding achievements, the San Diego Daily Transcript included him on its lists of the area’s Top 100 Business Professionals and San Diego’s Most Influential People. San Diego Metro ranked him among its 40 Under 40 People to Watch, San Diego Magazine placed him among its 50 People to Watch, and the Orange County Business Journal called him one of Orange County’s Most Influential People. He’s received multiple designations as The Irvine Company’s Broker of the Year and the San Diego Business Journal’s Most Admired CEO.
Beyond his professional successes, Jason Hughes has accomplished a great deal as a public advocate and community leader. Among his other civic and charitable activities, he has served as president of the New Children’s Museum, business council member of the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art, and board member of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association. He holds active membership in the Child Abuse Prevention Foundation.
- — University of San Diego, M.B.A. in real estate finance
- — Pepperdine University, B.S. in business administration
- Professional Activities
- — California Department of Real Estate Licensed Broker
— License #01008564
- — Washington State Department of Real Estate Licensed Broker
— Designated/Managing Broker
- — Appointed by the mayor as Special Assistant for Real Estate Services to the City of San Diego
- — Torrey Pines Bank — Founder and Past Board Member
- Honors and Awards
- — Most Admired CEO — Business Journal (multiple times)
- — Broker of the Year — The Irvine Company (10+ times)
- — 40 Under 40 People to Watch — SD Metro (multiple times)
- — Top 100 Business Professionals — Daily Transcript
- — SD's Most Influential People — Daily Transcript
- — OC's Most Influential People — Orange County Business Journal
- — 50 People to Watch — San Diego Magazine
- — C-Suite Quarterly — Contributor
- — Business Journals — Contributor
- — San Diego Union Tribune — Profile
- — Attorney Journal — Contributor
- — HATCH — Contributor
- — California Real Estate Journal — Profile
- — Wall Street Journal — Resource
- — Huffington Post — Resource
- Civic and Charitable Activities
- — The New Children’s Museum — Past President
- — San Diego County Taxpayers Association — Past Board Member
- — Museum of Contemporary Art — Past Business Council Member
- — Child Abuse Prevention Foundation