President, COO, and Owner
1614 15th Street
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 529-2111
Shay Hughes is president, COO and owner of Hughes Marino, an award-winning commercial real estate firm specializing in tenant representation. Shay oversees all aspects of business operations, including brokerage and other client services, internal operations, human resources, marketing communications and expansion strategy. Shay also leads our culture consulting services, where she regularly speaks to companies and organizations, sharing insights on how to cultivate an award-winning culture and build an extraordinary team.
A true visionary, she has been instrumental in shaping Hughes Marino’s culture, spearheading the development of the company’s Core Values and building a world-class team of professionals who are not only at the top of their game in business, but also treat one another like family. Shay’s creativity and family-style approach to business management have been integral in shaping Hughes Marino’s corporate culture, leading the company’s expansion and growing the firm from its first office into the nationally recognized industry leader that it is today. Hughes Marino has been named by Fortune as the number one best workplace in the nation, by Entrepreneur as the number two best company culture, as well as by Inc. Magazine as a best workplace.
More important than the accolades Hughes Marino has received is the culture that Shay has developed based on Hughes Marino’s ten Core Values. She has cultivated a team of people who truly love what they do, and who are committed to always doing the right thing, which means protecting the interests of the thousands of businesses and organizations that Hughes Marino is proud to count as clients. “Our company has taken an antiquated industry and completely reimagined and revitalized it, and we are excited and proud to be breaking the mold of traditional real estate firms.”
From the company retreats where team members spend time with best-selling authors and speakers, to the family style living room, kitchen, and game room in each office that the team enjoys every day, Shay’s enthusiasm for business is matched only by her flawless eye for design. In addition to her role as President & COO, Shay personally designed all of Hughes Marino’s offices, leading to the development of our in-house Planning + Design team that helps clients find the perfect space to meet their business objectives and create the culture they desire, much like Hughes Marino has for its own team.
Shay received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Pepperdine University, where she graduated alongside her husband, Jason. In her free time, Shay enjoys traveling with her family, design and creative endeavors, and writing about business management and culture for several publications, including her blog, Lead from Within. Shay’s greatest achievement has been raising her three remarkable children.
- — Pepperdine University, B.A. in communications
- Honors and Awards
- — 2020 For All Leadership Awards, Leader of the Year — Great Place to Work
- — Women Who Move The City — SD Magazine (2012 & 2013)
- — Women Who Rock — SD Metro
- — Women Who Mean Business — San Diego Business Journal
- — 2019 Finalist, Business Woman of the Year — San Diego Business Journal
- — Women's Summit Award — Los Angeles Business Journal (2016 & 2017)
- — Top 3 Finalist, Owner of the Year, Women's Council & Awards — Los Angeles Business Journal (2018)
- — Women in Business Nominee — Orange County Business Journal (2014 & 2015)
- — Women of Influence Nominee — Connected Women of Influence
- — Bay Area Power Women in Real Estate Honoree — Bisnow
- — San Diego Power Women in Real Estate Honoree — Bisnow
- — SoCal Power Women in Real Estate Honoree — Bisnow
- — Women of Influence — L.A. Biz
- — Southern California’s Most Powerful Women Honoree — Real Estate Forum
- — 2017 Woman of Influence — Real Estate Forum
- — 2019 Woman of Influence, Mentor of the Year — Real Estate Forum
- — CSQ Magazine — Featured Columnist