Chairman, CEO, and Owner
1450 Front Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 238-2111
Jason Hughes is chairman, CEO, and owner of Hughes Marino. Jason began his commercial real estate career in the 1980s working for Cushman & Wakefield in the Century City area of Los Angeles. He later moved to San Diego where he has represented corporate, non-profit and municipal tenants in their lease and purchase negotiations for nearly thirty years.
For more than 20 years, Jason and his wife Shay have been very influential in the commercial real estate industry. With roots originally in San Diego (where Hughes Marino is the largest exclusive tenant and buyer representation company), the tenant representation firm has become a prominent player throughout the nation with offices all along the West Coast. As market leaders, Jason and Shay have focused on providing deeper client services than ever experienced in the industry before, adding service and results guarantees to all of their customer relationships.
Recognized as a key figure in the tenant representation field, Jason pioneered new legislation known as the real estate broker Dual Agency Disclosure Bill, or SB 1171, which was signed into law by Governor Brown in August 2014 and went into effect on January 1, 2015. The new state law increases transparency and fairness for California commercial tenants, who now must be advised in writing when working with a broker who represents both tenants and landlords, creating a potential conflict of interest.
Over the years, Jason has transacted leases and purchases for tens of millions of square feet. He has experience negotiating complex and high-value leases; early renegotiations; expansion and contraction negotiations; office, hotel and condominium purchases; participating loan structuring; lease and loan workouts; government negotiations; anchor high-rise lease negotiations; build-to-suit developments and project finance negotiations. Jason has negotiated many of the largest tenant lease transactions in Downtown San Diego, Sorrento Mesa, Carmel Valley and the UTC area over the past thirty years – and is regarded as one of the preeminent commercial real estate experts throughout the region.
Jason received his Bachelor of Science in business administration from Pepperdine University and his Master of Business Administration in real estate finance from the University of San Diego. He has also taken numerous executive programs at Harvard University, UCLA’s Anderson School of Business, and UCSD’s Rady School of Management, and he has appeared on numerous television programs and business publications as an industry expert.
- — University of San Diego, M.B.A. in real estate finance
- — Pepperdine University, B.S. in business administration
- Professional Activities
- — California Department of Real Estate Licensed Broker
— License #01008564
- — Appointed by the mayor as Special Assistant for Real Estate Services to the City of San Diego
- — Torrey Pines Bank — Founder and Past Board Member
- Honors and Awards
- — Most Admired CEO — San Diego Business Journal (multiple times)
- — Broker of the Year — The Irvine Company (10+ times)
- — 40 Under 40 People to Watch — SD Metro (multiple times)
- — Top 100 Business Professionals — San Diego Daily Transcript
- — SD's Most Influential People — San Diego Daily Transcript
- — OC's Most Influential People — Orange County Business Journal
- — 50 People to Watch — San Diego Magazine
- — SD Metro Cover (four times)
- — San Diego Union Tribune — Profile
- — San Diego Business Journal — Contributor
- — C-Suite Quarterly — Contributor
- — HATCH — Contributor
- — Attorney Journal — Contributor
- — California Real Estate Journal — Profile
- — Wall Street Journal — Resource
- — Huffington Post — Resource
- Civic and Charitable Activities
- — The New Children’s Museum — Past President
- — San Diego County Taxpayers Association — Past Board Member
- — San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art — Past Business Council Member
- — Child Abuse Prevention Foundation
A Different Kind of Commercial Real Estate Company