Chairman & CEO
2 Park Plaza
Irvine, CA 92614
Phone: (949) 333-3111
Jason Hughes is chairman and CEO of Hughes Marino, a global corporate real estate advisory firm that has represented companies on tens of thousands of projects, helping them develop and execute on winning corporate real estate strategies for office, lab and industrial occupiers. The firm specializes in lease negotiations and structuring, owner user acquisitions, construction and project management, planning and design, portfolio management, lease auditing, lease administration, capital markets and facility management.
Jason began his commercial real estate career in the 1980s working for Cushman & Wakefield in the Century City area of Los Angeles. He later moved to San Diego where he represented corporate tenants in their lease and purchase negotiations for nearly thirty years.
For over three decades, Jason has been very influential in the California commercial real estate industry. With roots originally in San Diego, where Hughes Marino was founded and is the largest exclusive tenant and buyer representation company, the tenant representation firm has become a prominent player in the industry with offices throughout the nation. As market leaders, Jason and the Hughes Marino team have focused on providing deeper client services than ever experienced in the industry before.
Recognized as a key figure in the tenant representation field, Jason pioneered legislation known as the real estate broker Dual Agency Disclosure Bill, or SB 1171, which was signed into law by Governor Brown in August 2014 and went into effect on January 1, 2015. The state law increases transparency and fairness for California commercial tenants, who now must be advised in writing when working with a broker who represents both tenants and landlords, creating a potential conflict of interest.
With experience that spans a broad spectrum of market sectors, Jason has spearheaded the purchase and lease negotiation of office, hotel, condominium and high-rise buildings, and has transacted leases and purchases for tens of millions of square feet. He has experience negotiating complex and high-value leases; early renegotiations; expansion and contraction negotiations; office, hotel and condominium purchases; participating loan structuring; lease and loan workouts; anchor high-rise lease negotiations; build-to-suit developments and project finance negotiations. Jason has negotiated many of the largest tenant lease transactions in multiple markets over the past thirty years and is regarded as one of the preeminent commercial real estate experts throughout California.
Widely regarded as a thought leader in the field of tenant representation, Jason generously shares his expertise with colleagues and the general public alike. He has appeared on a number of television programs, and media giants such as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and the HuffPost have used him as a valuable resource.
Jason received his Bachelor of Science in business administration from Pepperdine University alongside his with Shay, and his Master of Business Administration in real estate finance from the University of San Diego. He has also taken numerous executive programs at Harvard University, UCLA’s Anderson School of Business and UCSD’s Rady School of Management.
- — University of San Diego, M.B.A. in real estate finance
- — Pepperdine University, B.S. in business administration
- Professional Activities
- — California Department of Real Estate Licensed Broker
— License #01008564
- — Torrey Pines Bank — Founder and Past Board Member
- Honors and Awards
- — Most Admired CEO — San Diego Business Journal (multiple times)
- — Broker of the Year — The Irvine Company (10+ times)
- — 40 Under 40 People to Watch — SD Metro (multiple times)
- — Top 100 Business Professionals — Daily Transcript
- — Most Influential People — Daily Transcript
- — Most Influential People — Orange County Business Journal
- — 50 People to Watch — San Diego Magazine
- — C-Suite Quarterly — Contributor
- — Business Journals — Contributor
- — California Real Estate Journal — Profile
- — The Wall Street Journal — Resource
- — HuffPost — Resource
- — The New York Times — Resource
- Civic and Charitable Activities
- — The New Children’s Museum — Past President
- — San Diego County Taxpayers Association — Past Board Member
- — San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art — Past Business Council Member
- — Child Abuse Prevention Foundation