Robert Bello, Esq.
Robert Bello, general counsel for Hughes Marino, is responsible for the legal affairs of the company and also supports its representation of tenants and buyers as leader of the Hughes Marino legal team. Rob has extensive experience counseling and representing clients in all aspects of business law, including real estate, contractual, labor and employment issues. Combined with his MBA, this “big picture” and balanced perspective makes Rob an invaluable resource to the Hughes Marino team and its clients.
Always seeking to level the playing field for tenants and buyers, Rob worked closely with Hughes Marino Chairman and CEO Jason Hughes to help get SB 1171 passed into law. This legislation, which went into effect on January 1, 2015, helps to protect tenants and buyers throughout California by extending dual-agent and fiduciary duty disclosures that already existed for residential transactions into commercial transactions. Commercial brokers must now provide and receive written, informed consent from their clients on these topics, thereby educating tenants and buyers and making them aware when their brokers have a conflict of interest.
Before joining Hughes Marino, Rob handled complex real estate litigation involving multi-party investors/developers, contracts, and the sale or transfer of real estate projects. He helped businesses defend claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, and harassment, while also working closely with management to prevent employment issues from escalating into litigation. Of note, Rob helped secure a precedent-setting opinion in California wrongful termination cases. Rob has also practiced at one of the leading plaintiff’s firms and one of the largest defense firms in California. He is admitted to practice in California, Illinois, and the United States District Court, Southern District of California.
Rob attended Northwestern University, where he earned his bachelor’s degree, majoring in both economics and political science, while also playing on the school’s varsity baseball team. After graduating, he played professional baseball in Italy for two seasons. Rob then moved to San Diego, California, to attend graduate school. He graduated magna cum laude and fifth in his class from Thomas Jefferson School of Law. While at Thomas Jefferson, Rob was a member of Law Review and was a judicial extern for Justice Judith Haller at the California Court of Appeal and for Judge Leo Papas (Ret.) at the Federal District Court. He also helped found Thomas Jefferson’s Dual Degree MBA Program with San Diego State University, and was the first graduate of that program.
Rob holds dual citizenship with the United States and Italy, and speaks Italian. In his free time, he enjoys playing baseball, traveling, and spending time with his family, which includes his wife, Erin, who is also an attorney, and their children, Vincent, Gianna and Lucia.
- — Thomas Jefferson School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- — San Diego State University, MBA
- — Northwestern University, B.A. in economics and political science
- Professional Activities
- — State Bar of California
— Bar #265153
- — State Bar of Illinois
— Bar #6302388
- — Admitted, United States District Court, Southern District of California
- — California Department of Real Estate Licensed Broker
— License #1991187
- — Association of Corporate Counsel — Member
- — San Diego County Bar Association — Member
- — Orange County Bar Association — Member
- — The St. Thomas More Society — Member
- — Thomas Jefferson School of Law Alumni Association — Board of Directors
- — Italian American Lawyers Association — Member
- Civic and Charitable Activities
- — San Diego Italian American Chamber of Commerce — Member
- — N-Club — Lifetime Member
- Honors and Awards
- — General Counsel Award, Winner — San Diego Business Journal, 2015 & 2016
- — Top Attorney, Nominee — San Diego Daily Transcript, 2015
- — General Counsel Award, Nominee — Orange County Business Journal, 2014
- — Top Young Attorney, Finalist — San Diego Daily Transcript, 2010
- — Thomas Jefferson Law Review — Member, 2006 – 2009