Senior Vice President, PLA
Ed Muna is senior vice president of Hughes Marino’s Portfolio Lease Administration and Advisory team. Ed and our expert lease administration team help clients around the world manage their lease obligations, whether it be on a regional, national or global level. A commercial real estate veteran, Ed brings Hughes Marino clients a rare and in-depth knowledge that comes from his diverse background in the industry. Over his career, Ed has been involved in hundreds of lease transactions, has overseen the leasing and management of large commercial real estate portfolios and has participated in the sale and purchase of millions of square feet of commercial space.
Hughes Marino’s Portfolio Lease Administration and Advisory team oversees all compliance matters around a client’s leasing and operating expense activities, which includes lease accounting, managing critical dates in the contracts, enforcing compliance to the lease provisions by landlords and reviewing all expenses and correspondence passed through from landlords.
The team also provides businesses with a resource to review and scrutinize their landlord charges throughout the United States and, when necessary, works with the landlords to bring resolution to costly errors and oversights. With Ed’s help, we have earned a national reputation for delivering results, putting millions of dollars back into Hughes Marino clients’ pockets each year.
In addition to lease administration, Ed’s expertise encompasses assisting portfolio tenants with multiple leased and owned locations and complex purchase and sales transactions. Examples of the variety of transactions our team has advised include establishing small regional offices throughout Europe and Asia, the purchase of a 25,000 square foot U.K. office building for a client’s European headquarters, the leasing of a 200,000 square foot distribution center in the Midwest and a $150 million sale/leaseback for a biomedical client.
Prior to joining Hughes Marino in 2011, Ed spent twenty years on the landlord side of the equation, where he started and oversaw the operations, leasing, accounting and property management divisions for two large property owners, giving him a unique understanding of how building systems and landlord organizations operate. This experience provided the necessary foundation for Ed to review landlords’ operating expense pass-throughs, analyze compliance to the lease and communicate to landlords in a firm but fair manner to ensure that the proper recoveries are received.
Ed is based at Hughes Marino’s corporate headquarters in San Diego, but is regularly on the road meeting and strategizing with clients. Ed personifies Hughes Marino Core Value #4: Embrace the family spirit, as his wife, Kelly, and son, Michael, also work at Hughes Marino.
- — San Diego State University, B.S. in business administration
- Professional Activities
- — California Department of Real Estate Licensed Broker
— Broker License #01048885
- — Certified Property Manager (CPM) designation from the Institute of Real Estate Management
- Civic and Charitable Activities
- — San Diego North Chamber of Commerce — Past Public Policy Chair
- — Rancho Bernardo High School Foundation — Past President (4 Years)
- — San Diego Community Enhancement Program — District Representative; served on panel for two years to review and make recommendations on more than 600 grant applications totaling nearly $10.8 million in funding requests
- — Downtown San Diego Partnership — Active Member and Past Executive Board Member
- — SDSU Corky McMillin Center for Real Estate — Member
- — Rancho Bernardo Community Council — Past Elected Representative
- — Rancho Bernardo Maintenance Assessment District — Past Chair
- — Building Owners & Managers Association — Past Board Member
- Honors and Awards
- — “Hats off to Volunteers” recognition