Careers at Hughes Marino
About This Position
Hughes Marino is a nationally award-winning tenant representation firm that is transforming the commercial real estate industry. With an outstanding culture and 100% family owned, we are an exciting and growing company with offices throughout California – San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley – and in Seattle, Washington.
As our company continues to grow, we are seeking talented, motivated teammates who embody our ten core values. We pride ourselves on being one of the most award-winning companies, including #7 Best Small Workplace in the Nation by Fortune Magazine, #2 Top Company Culture in the Nation by Entrepreneur Magazine, #1 Best Place to Work by Los Angeles Business Journal, Orange County Business Journal, and San Diego Business Journal, among many others. Hughes Marino is like family, and we have a culture of collaboration, support, innovation, and fun!
We are looking for superstar team members who deliver excellence every day, proactively communicate with others, pursue growth and learning, and build lasting relationships based on trust. You must be character-first, efficient, detail oriented, an independent worker, and want to be part of our exciting future. If this sounds like you, then we want to meet you and encourage you to apply!
For more information about our dynamic culture, please visit Hughes Marino’s blog, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Watch our video for in-depth insight into Hughes Marino’s award-winning culture!
- The Associate Attorney will be responsible for assisting our general counsel in reviewing leases, amendments, subleases, commission agreements, and other real estate transaction-related documents. Projects will include, but not be limited to, conducting research projects on various real estate-specific and general business issues.
- The Associate Attorney will be based out of the Hughes Marino downtown San Diego headquarters. The position will not require much time out of the office, but will include ample client interaction.
- The Associate Attorney will work within a team, under the direct supervision of Hughes Marino’s general counsel. If you are an excellent and experienced legal professional who enjoys law and is looking to thrive in a fast-paced environment, we offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a long-term career opportunity as a valued member of the Hughes Marino family.
Desired Skills and Experience
- The ideal Associate Attorney will have graduated with honors at or near the top of their class, participated in law review and a judicial externship.
- The ideal Associate Attorney will have a minimum of 2 years of experience in a real estate transactional practice preparing and reviewing real estate-related documents.
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail, excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills, demonstrate professionalism, be accountable, have the ability to prioritize tasks, and multitask in a high volume environment.
- Must have experience working in teams, taking direction, and communicating effectively with attorneys, contractors, and internal/external business associates.
- Must have exacting standards regarding file setup, organization, database management, and overall accuracy of communications shared.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word, ability to merge files and databases, and ability to conduct on-line research of public websites for tax, recording, zoning, and other information.
- As this is an exempt position in a critical needs area, the individual may need to arrive early or stay late with little or no notice.
- Must have the ability to recognize and solve complex problems as they arise.
- Must practice sound legal and business judgment.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, handle pressure and prioritize workflow.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in CA.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience, preferably with experience in a real estate transactional practice preparing and reviewing real estate contracts.
- Must reside in or relocate to San Diego County.
How to Apply
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org the following: (1) resume, (2) cover letter, (3) sample of your work product (5-8 pages), and (4) and references; all submissions will remain confidential. Be sure to also indicate: (i) whether you meet the 2 years minimum experience, (ii) if it was in a real estate transactional setting, and (iii) why you want to work for Hughes Marino. Ideal start date would be early-to-mid October, but an earlier start date is also a possibility.